Lambic take II

27575291294_ef2eab3de8_zTwo weeks ago I started another Lambic using a similar recipe to my Cherry Lambic disaster. This time I have a good feeling. I’m using a similar recipe:

  1. The mash is mostly Pale malt but 25% wheat malt
  2. Challenger hops are put in at the beginning of the boil
  3. A simple dry yeast is used during the primary fermentation

This morning, I inspected the brew after two weeks. I actually thought that it had stuck, but Greg @ BrewUk encouraged me to take a few hydrometer readings. It had in fact fermented quickly. The beer tasted like a young wheat beer Рnot too strong in flavour. I guess this is ideal for the fruit to take over the beer in the next stage.

Last time I added the cherries at the beginning of the fermentation. This time I’ve waited two weeks, racked the base beer onto 4kg of frozen raspberries and added some cultures – Lactobacillus, Brettanomyces and Pediococcus. This appears to be a more common approach to a Lambic. I now have to wait 4 weeks to see what happens, but everything seems good so far. It will be another 4 weeks after that before it will be ready to drink, so one for August bank holiday.

2 thoughts on “Lambic take II

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.