I simply did not do enough brewing 2019, four brews at most. To get back into the swing of it, I’ve started by making wine. I intend to make one wine a month this year. This Blackberry Wine based on a very simple recipe from Fruity Passions. I’m making because I found a load of blackberries in the freezer. Also once the blackberries have been soaked it is possible to make Blackberry Jam from the pulp so that very little gets wasted.
- Blackberries (Frozen, 1.75kg)
- Sugar (1.5kg)
- Water (4.5 litres)
- Good quality wine yeast
- Boil the water and pour over the Blackberries. Cover with cloths. Leave for 3 days, but stir occasionally throughout this time.
- Strain the lot into a sanitised fermentation bucket over the sugar. Stir to dissolve. Add the yeast. Cover and leave in the primary for about 6 days
- Rack into a sanitised demijohn and let the yeast do its magic. Rerack as necessary.
- Make a jam from the pulp.
(Blackberry photo public domain available from here)